3.02.2015

February Books and Reading Summary and Roundup

I read sixteen books in February. These were (in the order I read them):

Between the Acts, by Virginia Woolf
The First Time We Saw Him, by Matt Mikalatos
Indian Killer, by Sherman Alexie
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
Rebecca, by Daphne duMaurier
Parable of the Sower and Kindred, both by Octavia Butler
The Cancer Diaries, by Audre Lorde
These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, Regency Buck, An Infamous Army, Venetia, Frederica, The Grand Sophy, and Cotillion, all by Georgette Heyer.

Of these books:
4 were by authors of color; 12 were by white authors.
3 were by men; 13 were by women.
2 were nonfiction; 14 were fiction.
7 were hard copies; 9 were ebooks.
4 were re-reads; 12 were first-time reads.
1 was originally published in the 19th century, 14 in the 20th, and 1 in the 21st, with a date range of 1890 - 2014. 

I acquired fifteen books in February. From the bottom of the photo up, these were:

Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel
My Cousin Rachel, by Daphne duMaurier
Charity Girl and The Corinthian, both by Georgette Heyer
King, Queen, Knave, by Vladimir Nabokov
The Book Thief, by Zusak
The Labyrinth of Solitude, by Octavio Paz
Ravelstein, by Saul Bellow
Close Range, by Annie Proulx
Truth and Beauty, by Ann Patchett
Seven Last Words, by Terry Minchow-Proffitt
Devil in a Blue Dress and A Red Death, both by Walter Mosley
Thrones, Dominations, by Dorothy Sayers
(not pictured) Finding God in the Verbs, by Jennie Isbell and J. Brent Bill


Of these:
1 was a gift (Thanks, Terry!)
2 I bought new
5 were free (either in free piles or from BookMooch)
7 I bought used
2 are copies of work I have read but wanted to own; 13 are TBR books.




I culled thirteen books. 

Almost all of these (with two and a half exceptions) are read books (or books that one doesn't read cover to cover but that have a limited purpose — I have been to Shanghai and back and no longer need a city guide!) that I decided I no longer needed to hang onto. The two and a half exceptions are Great Books (I decided I was never going to read this), Voices of Vermont Nurses (a gift that I never had any desire to read but was hanging onto guiltily) and Winesburg, Ohio which I've read parts of but have never read straight through. Anyway I don't want it any more.

I'm not going to list these titles but if you see anything you want, let me know and I am happy to mail it to you!


General hopes and plans for March include:

A better balance of read vs acquired vs culled books! I only ended up with a net of two more physical books on my shelves . . . but the number of "to be read" books on my shelves increased by five (thirteen in; seven read; one culled). I suppose that's not too terrible, but since my goal is to read down my TBR pile by "shopping my shelves" . . . I'm not doing so hot. 

I plan to finally finish Ulysses (by Joyce, obviously) as well as Among the Believers (by V. S. Naipaul).

As much fun as it was to binge-read one author in February, I don't want to repeat that in March. Diversity!

Speaking of diversity, I still haven't hit my goal of reading 30% authors of color. 25% is pretty close . . . but no cigar. I could blame this on my Heyer binge-read, I suppose. Or I could just get back at it in March!

Do I have readers out there? Want to tell me about your February accomplishments and March goals? Please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment